2019 FRANKLINTON HIGH SCHOOL GIRLS TENNIS TEAM
FRANKLINTON -- Two teams with much different short-term goals met on the tennis court last Thursday when Franklinton hosted Northern Nash for a Big East girls showdown.
For NNHS, the future is now as the solid Lady Knights' lineup has dropped just two matches overall to date this season -- and are destined to finish no worse than third place in the Big East Conference standings.
Northern Nash looked to solidify its continued place among the Big East hierarchy last Thursday, while the homestanding Lady Rams are simply looking for improvement while traveling through a winless season to date.
Franklinton, after losing five seniors last year, currently has a young, inexperienced group, and that aspect showed as the Lady Knights finished off a regular season sweep over FHS with a 9-0 decision.
Some of the regular starters for Northern Nash were not in attendance, but it did not matter as the Lady Knights did not drop a set -- and lost only 13 games in the combined nine singles and doubles matches.
Franklinton's best shot came at No. 4 Singles, as Northern's Meredith Vaughan was playing one slot up from her usual position.
Vaughan had a tough match versus Franklinton's Madison Long, but still came away with a 7-5, 6-1 victory.
Northern's first two performers were impressive as standout No. 1 Singles star Chloe Harrington delivered a 6-1, 6-0 triumph versus Franklinton's Emma Styers.
Harrington remained undefeated at 12-0 overall in singles with the impressive conquest.
At No. 2 Singles, NNHS' Nisaja Thomas -- the lone senior in the Lady Knights' starting lineup -- was a 6-0, 6-0 winner over FHS' Alaina Holden.
Complete results from the girls tennis match were as follows:
• No. 1 Singles -- Chloe Harrington (Northern Nash) def. Emma Styers 6-1, 6-0
• No. 2 Singles -- Nisaja Thomas (Northern Nash) def. Alaina Holden 6-0, 6-0
• No. 3 Singles -- Paige Ward (Northern Nash) def. Kaylee Vereen 6-0, 6-2
• No. 4 Singles -- Meredith Vaughan (Northern Nash) def. Madison Long 7-5, 6-1
• No. 5 Singles -- Lauren Milligan (Northern Nash) def. Taylor Williams 6-0, 6-2
• No. 6 Singles -- Yijing Ling (Northern Nash) def. Ashlynn Ray 6-0, 6-0
• No. 1 Doubles -- Harrington-Thomas (Northern Nash) def. Holden-Long 6-0
• No. 2 Doubles -- Ward-Vaughan (Northern Nash) def. Vereen-Tamia Green 6-0
• No. 3 Doubles -- Lin-Mikayla Viverette (Northern Nash) def. Taylor Williams-Grace Elliott 6-1